About This Blog

This blog is about Team Fortress 2, released by Valve. If you have no interest in TF2, you will have no interest in this blog.

Of course, even if you do have interest in TF2, you probably will not have interest in this blog, either.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I'm an Idiot.

and no, it's not because i haven't worked on anything. i wasn't even talking about how i check the TF2 Blog on a daily basis, despite the fact that they update almost as often as i.

i'm talking about my tunnel vision with the map. the fact of the matter is that i have done only a little bit, but keep worrying about my scale, and with good reason: i have no overall layout! i've been so focused on getting my grandiose "vision" out into Hammer that i've completely lost sight of potential playability problems. well, no more. after a quick refresher read of the TF2 Mapping Tutorial on the Steam forum, i've decided that my new favorite color will be the Hated Orange Texture.

i also must confess that the bits of spare time i could have used to map were taken up by rediscovering my love for the Heavy, as well as racking up a few achievements. i prefer to wait a bit, just so that i'm not Heavy #6 on a 6-man team. i also picked up a copy of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. yeah, i know it's an old gamecube game, but i'm a sucker for the entire Metroid series.

in other news, i'd like to give a huge shout out to my New Best Friend (only because he commented on my last post ;-) ), Vander. looks like he's in a similar boat, only he's able to devote more time to things than i, lucky guy. thanks for the comment!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out friend!

I would recommend you draw it on paper first. The scale doesn't have to be proper in your drawing, just enough to convey what you want the basic layout of your level to be. It sucks to spend a lot of time in Hammer blocking something out straight from your brain, only to discover it really doesn't work.

Paper is more forgiving!

By the way, I do most of my gaming/mapping at night after the kid goes to bed. Not much time otherwise.

Jynx the Mapper said...

yeah, i have it on paper, it's just trying to convert my paper vision to proper Hammer Scale that is getting me tripped up!

btw, i tried out a quick block-out of half the map and confirmed that some things will need to shrink...most likely the silo will be MUCH smaller, and i'll move things inward to keep travel times small. i'll probably post again within the next couple of days.

thanks again for the advice, i do appreciate it!