About This Blog

This blog is about Team Fortress 2, released by Valve. If you have no interest in TF2, you will have no interest in this blog.

Of course, even if you do have interest in TF2, you probably will not have interest in this blog, either.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Back On Track

i am feeling much better about my progress thus far - not because i've gotten a whole lot done (which i haven't), but because i'm now pretty confidant about my overall map size. yes, i was planning something that was far too big for a CTF map - i guess i should be thankful i caught it as early as i did.



now the overall shape of the map is obvious. you may also note that i killed my first silo - it was simply way too large for the map. i've got a placeholder there now, and when i'm ready that placeholder will be transformed.



here is a shot from the farmhouse - you'll see the train station (not like Well, just a little stop) which marks the map centerline, and the BLU area in the distance. due to the nature of CTF, the building locations are identical but i hope to give the impression of totally separate areas when i detail them.

one thing i did notice when going through the official Valve maps: there are no critical structures that are angled - only incidentals, like the little shacks outside of Cap A at Gravel Pit. i was planning on angling a couple of my buildings, but seeing them all lined up with the Almighty Grid is making me rethink this. so, my question for anyone interested is this: should i bother trying to angle my buildings (build them out, detail, then angle the entire structure last), or am I just begging for a nightmare, especially when it comes to making playtest updates?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you definitely want to angle anything AFTER you build it.

As for whether or not to angle...I say go for it. If you want to do it, no reason I can see not to.

Also, based on what little I can see, I think the map is a bit open. Keep in mind that will give the sniper class a significant advantage.

Jynx the Mapper said...

i've been thinking about snipers a lot with this map, and you're right. i'll be putting plenty of little "roadblocks" in place, along with a couple of side paths that will get you to the buildings out of sight.